There is nothing that is as beneficial to our health than the various gifts of nature. Unarguably, palm wine is one of them. and that’s why considering the health importance then palm wine health benefit are listed below.
The topic pertain the consumption of palm wine is quite controversial to a fault maybe because of the aalcoholic contain that developed through the fermentation process of the wine Palm wine contains the antioxidant, yeast, Vitamin C. And Vitamin C, on the other hand, helps in maintaining good eye health.
Palm wine is a sweet, tasty drink that is gotten from the sap of various species of palm tree such as the Palmyra, date palms, and coconut palms.
It is one of the most popular drink in the world. As a matter of fact, it can be said to be the most popular; as almost anyone who has lived in West Africa, Central Africa, Asia, the Caribbean, and South America can tell you something about it. Especially the sweetness.
However, what is believed to be unknown by many is the amazing health benefits of this heavenly drink.
Palm wine is exceptionally good for our health. Its health benefits cannot be overemphasized.
Here are some of the amazing health benefits of palm wine
1. Palm wine has the ability to fight against cancer
Although this might sound unbelievable, it is true. Palm wine contains riboflavin, which is also known as Vitamin B2.
Riboflavin is an antioxidant which helps in the fight against some cancer-causing agents called free radicals. A moderate consumption of fresh palm wine is enough to bless the body with the right amount of Vitamin B2.
2. Palm wine increases eyesight
Palm wine contains the antioxidant, Vitamin C. And Vitamin C, on the other hand, helps in maintaining good eye health.
Additionally, it contains Vitamin B1 (thiamine), which also helps in improving our vision.
This is why it is still argued till date that our grandparents in the village have better eyesight than us because palm wine is one of their beverage.
3. Palm wine helps in maintaining a healthier skin, hair, and nail
Palm wine is a proud carrier of Iron and vitamin B complex. And iron and vitamin B are needed for a healthy skin, hair, and nail.
Also Iron is very very useful for the development, growth, and functioning of some cells in our body. This is why palm wine is helpful in promoting wound healing. Because it repairs the tissues and promotes the growth of healthy cells.
4. Palm wine reduces the risk of cardiovascular diseases
Research shows that heart failure, which is an example of cardiovascular disease, can be regulated by drinking moderate amounts of palm wine.
The study was conducted by Lindberg and Ezra in 2008.
Additionally, the potassium which is contained in palm wine has been proven to improve heart health and bring down hypertension.
However, an excess consumption of palm wine has adverse effects like destroying the liver.
5. It promotes lactation
In the south western countries of Africa countries like Cameroon, Ghana, and Nigeria, palm wine to help a lactating mother when she has limited breast milk production. It is very effective, and it works like magic. So far you can get the freshly produced
Preservatives and sweeteners distort the originality of the wine; therefore making it not good for our health.
Also, like every other thing that is excessively consumed, palm wine can have its negative effect as well.
Side effect of palm wine consumption
In conclusion, try as much as you can to avoid fermented palm wine in excess, because it is detrimental the health. A fermented palm wine is like spoilt fruits. Only in rare cases can they be said to be useful.
If we must consume palm wine for its sweetness and various health benefits, then we should concern ourselves with fresh palm wine.
OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA
The process of how to make Palm wine is called wine tapping. A palm wine tapper climbs the palm tree with a rope that is locally designed for that purpose. When the tapper climbs the tree to the top, he will cut some palm branches to expose the tissue and use the knife to create a hole in the tree.
The hollow bamboo or empty pipe is used to direct the sap into a gallon which is tied to the tree.
Contents of Palm Wine:
- Amino acid
- Vitamin C
- Vitamin b1,b2,b3 and b6
- Improves Eyesight
- Palm wine helps in maintaining good eye health. It contains antioxidant, Vitamin C which is also found in other fruits and vegetables. Vitamin B1 also helps in improving our vision.
- Reduce Risk Of Cardiovascular Diseases
- Research shows that drinking moderate amount of palm wine has been associated with reducing the risk of developing cardiovascular diseases such as heart failure. This study was conducted by Lingberg and Ezra in 2008. Palm wine contains potassium which has been proven by research to improve heart health and bring down hypertension. However, too much intake has adverse effects like destroying the liver.
- Help Fight Against Cancer
- It contains Vitamin B2, also known as riboflavin, which is an antioxidant which helps in the fight against free radicals.
- Helps in Maintaining Healthy Hair, Skin and Nails
- The iron and vitamin B complex found in the palm wine are needed for a healthy skin and nails. Iron is very important for the development, growth and functioning of some cells in our body. This property of palm wine makes it helpful in promoting would healing by repairing our tissues and promoting the growth of healthy cells.
- Promotes Lactation
- It is being used by many natural healers in some other parts of Africa to help to lactate mothers when she has limited breast milk production. Research is needed to investigate the property of palm wine that makes it stimulate the production of breast milk.
Do not drink fermented palm wine in excess. Fermented palm wine in excess is detrimental to our health. Fermented palm wine is locally referred to as “strong white mimbo” Fermented palm wine contains a high percentage of alcohol, which is probably higher than that found in some of the alcoholic beverages we drink. This fermented palm wine destroys our kidney, liver and other systems in our body. Drinking alcohol in excess is a risk factor for hypertension.